Now that Congress has passed the 2014 Farm Bill and the President has signed it into law, the action shifts to the Farm Service Agency (FSA) at USDA to provide the rules and regulations. After FSA releases regulations, farmers and land owners will need to make program decisions. For crop producers, some of the more consequential decisions will be related to commodity title.
Over the next several months, the farmdoc team will undertake a coordinated series of efforts to inform farmers and land owners on the provisions of the 2014 Farm Bill, with much of the effort focused on commodity title choices and dairy program choices. An initial overview of the crop commodity program alternatives is now available in this PowerPoint slide set.
Upcoming activities on farmdoc include:
1. Farm Bill Thursday on farmdoc daily
- For the next several months, at least one post per week on farmdoc daily will deal with Farm Bill issues. A list of these posts will be available under the category “2014 Farm Bill” (available here). As of February 13, there are already five posts:
- Feb 12, “Crop Safety Net Decisions: Key Considerations” (Carl Zulauf) (available here),
- Feb 12, “The Dairy Safety Net Debate Part III” (John Newton and Cameron Thraen) (available here),
- Feb 11, “Crop Insurance Decisions: The 2014 Farm Bill and 2014 Production Recommendation” (Gary Schnitkey) (available here),
- Feb 6, “Evaluating Commodity Program Choices in the New Farm Bill” (Jonathan Coppess) (available here), and
- Jan 30, “Farm Bill Farm Safety Net: Summary and Brief Thoughts” (Carl Zulauf) (available here).
- On February 20th, a farmdoc daily post will describe the Agricultural Risk Coverage (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) programs in further detail. On February 27th the farmdoc daily post will discuss the new Supplemental Coverage Option (SCO).
- farmdoc will be offering a series of webinars devoted to Farm Bill issues. The first will be on March 5th at 8:00 a.m. (central) and will discuss the commodity program choices available in Title I of the Farm Bill. The second webinar will be on March 12th also at 8:00 a.m. (central) and it will discuss SCO. Further webinars are being developed and will be announced at a later time.
- The farmdoc team is currently developing calculators using Microsoft spreadsheets to assist farmers and landowners with evaluating the commodity program alternatives in the farm bill. We intend to release the first versions in early March and they will be available on farmdoc as well as discussed on farmdoc daily.
We look forward to working with our readers on Farm Bill information and decisions.
Disclaimer We request all readers, electronic media and others follow our citation guidelines when re-posting articles from farmdoc daily. Guidelines are available here. The farmdoc daily website falls under University of Illinois copyright and intellectual property rights. For a detailed statement, please see the University of Illinois Copyright Information and Policies here.